Allright. I have to lead the post with a photo of the finished product, because starting with pictures of raw meat is kinda gross.
Ohmygoodness. This is the best chicken ever. Seriously. It’s crispy and buttery on the outside and juicy inside. We love to have this chicken with a loaf of warm bread. We dip the bread in the drippings, we don’t even bother making a gravy out of it.
Without further ado, here’s the recipe, adapted from Bisquick’s Oven Roasted Chicken.
Paprika Roasted Chicken (serves 4-6)
Full Recipe follows picture tutorial…
Drizzle a few tablespoons of olive oil OR 2 tablespoons of butter in a 9×13 baking dish. Preheat the oven to 425º F with the pan IN THE OVEN. The oil/butter needs to be VERY hot when you put the chicken in later.
In a shallow, wide dish mix the baking mix, italian seasoning, garlic, paprika, salt, and pepper.
Skin the chicken and trim the hard fat pieces off. You can leave the skin if you like to eat it, but if you don’t eat the skin and you peel it off AFTER baking, you’ll lose all the delicious seasonings on the outside. And that’s the best part.
Firmly press the chicken pieces into the seasonings, rolling to get the coating all the way around. You may have to press some of the coating on with your fingers.
Shake the loose bits of coating back off. Any part that isn’t actually stuck to the meat will stay dry and floury after baking.
When all the chicken is ready to go in the pan, pull the hot pan out of the oven and QUICKLY drop the chicken in, bone side up. You should hear a lot of sizzling. This is the delicious crispy crust forming. Pop it in the oven for 45 minutes.
After 45 minutes, flip the pieces over so the other side can get crispy. Bake for another 15 minutes. This is the ideal time to put biscuits in the oven with the chicken. Then you have an *almost* complete meal coming out of the oven all at once!
When juices are clear when stabbed with a knife, the chicken is done. Enjoy!
Paprika Roasted Chicken
4-8 pieces of chicken (quarters, divided; or a whole cut up chicken)
2/3 c Whole Wheat Bisquick (you can make your own)
2T Italian Seasoning
1 1/2 T Paprika
1T garlic powder (do NOT use wet garlic!)
salt and pepper to taste
2T butter or olive oil
1. Put oil or butter in a 9×13 baking pan. Preheat the oven to 425º F with the pan in the oven.
2. Prepare chicken by rinsing and trimming, pat dry.
3. Mix Bisquick and seasonings in a pie plate or other shallow dish.
4. Firmly press chicken pieces into the coating, shaking excess coating off.
5. When all chicken is coated, quickly place pieces into the hot pan, bone side up. Bake for 45 minutes.
6. Turn pieces, bake for another 15 minutes or until juices are clear.
7. Remove pieces from pan quickly after baking as they will begin to stick as the chicken cools.