When Jim works late, I’m by myself all evening after the kids are in bed. Sometimes, evening cravings kick in.
Tonight, every bone in my body was screaming at me to rush down to the general store before it closed at 10:00. For mint ice cream, of course.
Luckily, common sense prevailed and I decided to make something even better.
This recipe is adapted from Sex, Food, and Rock & Roll.
Fried Apples in Caramel Sauce
1 apple, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced (I ended up with about 16 skinny wedges)
2 T butter
1/4 c brown sugar
1/8 t cinnamon
1. Melt the butter in a small pan. Toss in the apples.
2. Cook over medium-low heat for abut 5 minutes, until slightly softened.
3. Dump in the brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir to coat evenly.
4. Cook for another 5-7 minutes, until tender.
5. Remove to a plate or bowl.
Let it cool just long enough not to burn your mouth… and scarf. Go ahead,
lick the plate spoon up the sauce when you’re done. I won’t tell.